Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Tutorial: Color in Your Soul

Welcome! 

I'm glad to see you found your way over from the Cardmaker crop forum.

My challenge to you for today is to use the following coloring and embossing technique to make a tag.

Believe it or not, we're going to take our paper tags from this...




to this!




If you didn't get a chance to read the supply list on the forum here then go ahead and gather them now.

You'll need:

  • cardstock base for your tag
  • ink in several colors (I used distress inks)
  • blending tool
  • clear embossing ink
  • background stamp
  • image stamp
  • clear embossing powder
  • heat tool
  • embellishments to your liking


Start by cutting your cardstock to the size you would like your tag to be. Mine is a large one, almost three inches by six inches.




Use some lighter ink color(s) and a blending tool to color the cardstock as a background for your tag. I used two colors (yellow and green) and randomly blended them over the tag.




Using a darker ink, stamp your background stamp on the tag. Don't be afraid to stamp something other than the traditional strait background here...I angled my stamp and used it more than once, to vary the lines.




For this step you will want to line your supplies up and have them handy. Stamp your image with clear embossing ink, then cover with clear embossing powder. Shake off the excess powder. Some stampers find it handy to wipe the surface of the cardstock with a static cling eraser thingamajig to keep the embossing powder from sticking to anything other than the ink...you decide.


The fuzzy looking spots are the unmelted powder covered spots.


Use your heat tool to melt the embossing powder, I love how shiny it is!




Use a darker ink and blending tool to color over the entire tag, including coloring over the clear embossing. Don't worry, you won't ruin it!


halfway colored

all done!

Now use a paper towel or rag to wipe the excess ink off the embossing, revealing the original colors beneath the embossed image!

Finish up by embellishing the tag any way you would like to to finish it. I made a larger tag and finished it as a bookmark, since reading is often one way that I am pampering myself!




Supplies used for my tag:


  • Cardstock:(cream,gold)Recollections;(green)scrap
  • Inks:(embossing)Versamark;(colors)Ranger Distress Ink
  • Stamps:(text background)Stampabilities;(sunflowers)Local King Rubber Stamps;(sentiment)Inkadinkado
  • Embossing Powder:(clear)Recollections
  • Ribbon:(cream)Best Value Organdy Ribbon Joann's;(green)Offray;(brown polka dot)The Ribbon Boutique Hobby Lobby
  • Punch:(vintage label)McGill


I look forward to seeing your creations on the forum board here and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

Thanks,

Meredith

7 comments:

  1. This is GORGEOUS!! I can't wait to try this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just stinkin cute. Love it
    Linda Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic, Meredith! Love how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is beautiful. I am hoping to play with this today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So BEAUTIFUL!!! I love it and can't wait to try the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meredith, I hardly ever use my bold stamps. Thanks for a great technique that will use them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate each and every one. Have a lovely day, and thank you for stopping by!