Saturday, January 19, 2013

Colored Ice Crystals Valentine

Back in November 2012 there was a challenge on a message board that I belonged to to use the Ice Crystal technique on your card. It was a fantastic technique, and makes a lovely and unique background.

Here is the card I made using that background...you can see the 'ice crystals' on the dark blue cardstock behind the main image.



At the time of the challenge, there was talk on the board about trying the technique with colored water on white paper, and whether or not that would turn out. Well, I colored some of my solution with red food coloring (the liquid kind) and tried it out...it still made the ice crystals, but the color dried a faint pink...not something that I was going to work into the Christmas cards I was making at the time. So I put the page away until Valentine's. 

Guess what? That's right, I pulled it out and used it today! There is a challenge over on a new message board (the old one was closed) www.scrapzee.com this week to use a handmade flower on your card. I pulled out my box of flowers and found some great ones that I had received in a swap from Christina. (Thanks!) The red and pink flowers were perfect to use in a row on my card, (layout based on pin here) but I needed something to make them pop.

Enter my perfect pink shimmery ice crystal background! Its hard to capture in a photo, but the crystals really do shimmer and shine, and the coloring made it the softest pink color that is perfect to let the flowers take center stage!



I've been making Valentines for an exchange that I signed up for...do you like to swap and exchange handmade papercrafts? You should come check out the Scrapzee forum, its the friendliest place I've found for papercrafters on the web! 




Oh, and if you're interested in learning the ice crystals technique, there is a great video to explain it here.

Here's the inside...the card base that I'm using is pretty flimsy, so I always line the cards with something to reinforce them. Besides, I needed someplace to use the last two flowers!



Supplies:
  • card base: stash
  • flowers: swap from Christina
  • cardstock: coredinations (glitter), wausau (white)
  • stamps: studioG
I've found a new crafty challenge to play along with, Craft Us Crazy. Their current challenge is Valentine/Love/Red...this card oughta fit!

Thanks for stopping by to look!

Meredith


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate each and every one. Have a lovely day, and thank you for stopping by!